Home » Accidental Ways Of Harming Your Children With Toxic Bug Spray

Accidental Ways Of Harming Your Children With Toxic Bug Spray

Accidental Ways Of Harming Your Children With Toxic Bug Spray

Did you know that it is possible to adversely affect your children using bug spray? This could be a spray that you are using on hornets, flies, and even mosquitoes, all in an attempt to protect them from these potentially harmful insects. Most of the children that are harmed ingested the poison itself as it is not topically dangerous for humans. There are certain things that you need to do if they have accidentally swallowed some, steps that can help prevent them from getting sick or potentially causing a life-threatening situation.

What Are The Poisonous Ingredients In Bug Spray?

N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide is the name of the active ingredient that is in most bug sprays, specifically bug repellent area the reason that this substance, also known as DEET Is used so often is that it is the most successful when it comes to repelling different types of bugs. The reasoning behind adding this to all of the different products is that it can help prevent other diseases from spreading. For example, if a mosquito has West Nile virus, this could be very detrimental to your child’s health as is a bug that is spreading malaria.

Are There Alternatives To DEET?

Our first and biggest recommendation is CedarCide’s Natural Mosquito Repellent.  It is completely safe — even for babies!  And it helps keep the mosquitoes away.

There are some alternatives including pyrethrins that are not as effective. This is derived from a flower call the chrysanthemum, and a pesticide can be derived, one that is nonpoisonous. The main side effect is causing respiratory difficulties, but you have to breeze a significant amount to have this ill effect. You can usually read the labels to see which ones have DEET, or one of the other ingredients; that can help you make the right choice.

What Are The Symptoms Of Bug Spray Toxicity?

Bug spray toxicity can manifest many different symptoms including problems breathing, coughing, and an upset stomach if it is sprayed on the skin, mild redness, irritation or even hives could develop. If this gets into your nose, ears or eyes, it is important to wash out these areas so that it cannot cause significant damage. If it is swallowed, DEET, for example, can cause moderate stomach irritation, nausea, and vomiting. One of the more debilitating symptoms is the effect on the nervous system. This can cause seizures, coma, disorientation, insomnia, mood changes, and in some cases death. One, especially a child, has swallowed DEET or any of the other substances found in bug spray, you should call 911 or your local poison control center.

Final Thoughts On Toxic Bug Spray

There is a fine line between the benefits of bug spray and the adverse reactions that can be caused when it is accidentally ingested. In comparison to getting one of the diseases mentioned which can occur from a mosquito or other insect bites, using bug spray seems to be the better option. As long as children are kept away from open containers, or even spray bottles which are easy to use, the benefits outweigh the negatives when it comes to using bug spray outdoors. The only accidental way that children can become poisoned by bug spray, in most cases, is when an adult has not properly stored a completely sealed bottle in cupboards beyond their reach.

Although there are limited cases where people experience extreme side effects, they are possible, so you should always have your cell phone ready to call poison control or 911. These are not usually ingested, but if they are, it is always good to be ready. Make sure you have the age, weight and condition of the person before calling, as well as an estimate as to how much was swallowed. This will help either of these professional entities provide life-saving information that could help a small child or adult recover from a toxic bug spray that is accidentally ingested.