Accidental Ways Of Harming Your Children With Toxic Bug Spray

Accidental Ways Of Harming Your Children With Toxic Bug Spray

Did you know that it is possible to adversely affect your children using bug spray? This could be a spray that you are using on hornets, flies, and even mosquitoes, all in an attempt to protect them from these potentially harmful insects. Most of the children that are harmed ingested the poison itself as it is not topically dangerous for humans. There are certain things that you need to do if they have accidentally swallowed some, steps that can help prevent them from getting sick or potentially causing a life-threatening situation.

What Are The Poisonous Ingredients In Bug Spray?

N,N-diethyl-meta-toluamide is the name of the active ingredient that is in most bug sprays, specifically bug repellent area the reason that this substance, also known as DEET Is used so often is that it is the most successful when it comes to repelling different types of bugs. The reasoning behind adding this to all of the different products is that it can help prevent other diseases from spreading. For example, if a mosquito has West Nile virus, this could be very detrimental to your child’s health as is a bug that is spreading malaria.

Are There Alternatives To DEET?

Our first and biggest recommendation is CedarCide’s Natural Mosquito Repellent.  It is completely safe — even for babies!  And it helps keep the mosquitoes away.

There are some alternatives including pyrethrins that are not as effective. This is derived from a flower call the chrysanthemum, and a pesticide can be derived, one that is nonpoisonous. The main side effect is causing respiratory difficulties, but you have to breeze a significant amount to have this ill effect. You can usually read the labels to see which ones have DEET, or one of the other ingredients; that can help you make the right choice.

What Are The Symptoms Of Bug Spray Toxicity?

Bug spray toxicity can manifest many different symptoms including problems breathing, coughing, and an upset stomach if it is sprayed on the skin, mild redness, irritation or even hives could develop. If this gets into your nose, ears or eyes, it is important to wash out these areas so that it cannot cause significant damage. If it is swallowed, DEET, for example, can cause moderate stomach irritation, nausea, and vomiting. One of the more debilitating symptoms is the effect on the nervous system. This can cause seizures, coma, disorientation, insomnia, mood changes, and in some cases death. One, especially a child, has swallowed DEET or any of the other substances found in bug spray, you should call 911 or your local poison control center.

Final Thoughts On Toxic Bug Spray

There is a fine line between the benefits of bug spray and the adverse reactions that can be caused when it is accidentally ingested. In comparison to getting one of the diseases mentioned which can occur from a mosquito or other insect bites, using bug spray seems to be the better option. As long as children are kept away from open containers, or even spray bottles which are easy to use, the benefits outweigh the negatives when it comes to using bug spray outdoors. The only accidental way that children can become poisoned by bug spray, in most cases, is when an adult has not properly stored a completely sealed bottle in cupboards beyond their reach.

Although there are limited cases where people experience extreme side effects, they are possible, so you should always have your cell phone ready to call poison control or 911. These are not usually ingested, but if they are, it is always good to be ready. Make sure you have the age, weight and condition of the person before calling, as well as an estimate as to how much was swallowed. This will help either of these professional entities provide life-saving information that could help a small child or adult recover from a toxic bug spray that is accidentally ingested.

Mosquito Repellent Tips

Mosquito Repellent Tips

Mosquito bites can be the worst. They itch like crazy , which can drive one mad.  Mosquitos also carry disease and keeping them away from you and your family is in your best interest.  The best way to protect yourself from mosquitos, is a good mosquito repellent. Store bought brands may work well, however, also contain many chemicals. Chemicals that can either possibly cause allergic reactions or that could be harmful to children. Here are some helpful mosquito repellent tips.

Vanilla Scented Home-Made Repellent

First of all, you need to get your hands on a spray bottle around sixteen ounces big. These are easy to find at any local grocery store or craft store. However, extremely handy to have around the house, so pick a few when you can.This recipe requires: a 1/2 cup of lemon juice, 15 drops of lavender oil, and 3/4 cup of vanilla extract. Now you just combine four simply ingredients and shake. Lavender essential oil can be found at health food stores, craft stores or purchased on the internet. It is known to naturally carry a distinct smell that mosquitoes dislike but they human counterparts seem to find pleasing.

Smells Like Candy Canes But It Really Is Bug Repellent

Peppermint essential oils are another tasty option to repelling bugs all day long. For some reason, peppermint is a natural deterrent to mosquitoes, gnats and horseflies. The children will especially love this home- made repellent because of how yummy and fresh they will smell all day. Step one, gather your ingredients : 2 tsp. of witch hazel, 10 drops of lemongrass essential oils, 10 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oils , 25 drops of peppermint essential oils and water . Grab one of those extra spray bottles lying around the house, combine everything, and shake. You are all set. This particular repellent is excellent for kids because the CDC states that the lemon eucalyptus is the best natural alternative to DEET.  Here is a video showing you how to make your own.

DEET vs. No DEET

Studies have shown that mosquito repellents containing high levels of DEET, can be hazardous to a person’s health. No one is telling you not to buy them. Nor that they do not work. Many individuals prefer manufactured products that contain DEET. They feel it works much better in different conditions than a natural product would not. Just remember that if you do choose the all natural route, that name lemon eucalyptus. The pure essential oils have been known in some reviews to work ten times more effectively than its chemical counterpart. Plus, you can decide what smells better, bug spray or lemon.

Spread of the Zika Virus in the US

Spread of the Zika Virus in the US

The Zika virus was first identified in the East African region of Uganda around 1947. However, the virus went dormant not so long after its isolation only to reemerge recently in the southeastern Asia. For the last couple of months, the spread of the Zika virus has gained unprecedented momentum in the US thus drawing the attention of oversight agencies in the healthcare industry such as the CDC and the WHO. As a matter of fact, the virus was a cause of concern for the recently concluded Olympic Games held in Rio, which at that time was considered a hot spot of the virus.

Transmission of the Virus

One gets infected by the Zika virus after sustaining a bite from a specific mosquito from the Aedes genus. Scientific observations have shown that the infectious mosquito is most active during the day and expectant women are the most vulnerable victims. Other than mosquito bites, the Zika virus is also transmitted through the following ways;

  • Sex
  • Blood transfusion
  • Mother to child transfusion during pregnancy

High rates of transmission have also been observed in the densely populated regions of the world, which explains the vast extent of infections in the Southeastern Asia countries.

Zika Comes to the US

The last couple of months has seen a tremendous increase in the rates of transmission and infection of the Zika virus in the US. The growing concerns among the relevant stakeholders in the health department have led to extensive scientific investigations aimed at establishing the reason behind such an observation. First, the US is among the most populous regions in the world with more than 300 million people. The spread of the Zika virus in the US is to some extent attributed to the high population of the country’s citizens who travel across the world for various reasons. It is also, partially attributed to the fact that there was insufficient information available.

Becoming Infected

A person that is infected with the Zika virus may show signs of illness for several days usually less than a week and they are manifested by a number of symptoms, which include but not limited to the following;

  • Conjunctivitis
  • Body Rash
  • Fever
  • Joint pains

Pregnant Women

Women of reproductive age are advised to desist from traveling as they are much more likely to get infected than their male counterparts. They are also discouraged from engaging in activities that require them to interact with people that travel more often.

The spread of the Zika virus in the US is not uniform, which implies that there are those states with more infected persons than others. For example, the state of Florida and its environs are the places with the most transmissions in the US.

It is for this reason that the country has taken upon itself to monitor traveling into and out of these regions. The spread of the Zika virus has resulted in numerous sanctions issued by the CDC to prevent US citizens from traveling freely to and from the regions considered to be endemic with the Zika virus. The already infected persons have been put under strict monitoring with the aim of containing the situation in the US.